Tips 26 Mar 2024

Heading to the Western Part of Indonesia via the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road

Except during the pandemic, the tradition of “mudik”—returning to one’s hometown—for the Eid holidays happens annually in Indonesia. The tradition is seen most on highways and toll roads across Sumatra and Bali Islands. This is because those two out of the five largest islands in Indonesia already have well-established land transportation routes for private vehicles via the Trans-Sumatra and the Trans-Java Toll Roads.

If this year is your first time traveling back to your hometown in the western part of Indonesia through the toll road, let’s first find out some information about the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road!

Trans-Sumatra Toll Road

By mid-2023, six segments of the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road (TSTR) have been fully operational, covering a total distance of 596 kilometers, while seven other segments totaling 361 kilometers are under construction. Three out of the six fully-operational toll road segments connect Lampung and South Sumatra Provinces, with the divisions being: Bakauheni–Terbanggi Besar, Terbanggi Besar–Pematang Panggang–Kayu Agung, and Kayu Agung–Palembang.

The connectivity given by this toll road has managed to reduce travel time between the two provinces. Previously, the trip from Lampung to Palembang took 12 hours. Today, with the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road, the travel duration has been cut to less than half, taking only 5 hours.

Antara News reported that the amenities on the TSTR are also adequate, with rest areas available from KM 20 to KM 311, spaced at an interval of 50 km of each other. This means you can hit the toll road once you reach Bakauheni and go straight to Palembang.

Landmarks along the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road

Although relatively newer compared to the Trans-Java Toll Road, the TSTR is not lacking in scenic views. This toll road offers glimpses of iconic landmarks from each city or region, including:

  • Siger Tower

The Siger Tower stands majestically at a height of 110 meters above sea level, directly facing the entrance gate of Bakauheni Port. With its golden-yellow color, it is as if the tower is welcoming you to the Island of Sumatra.

As reported by Indonesia Kaya on its webpage, the Siger Tower is the icon of Lampung Province and marks the southernmost, 0 km point of Sumatra. The tower resembles the traditional crown worn by Lampungnese brides—known as “siger”—and features nine cones representing the nine languages spoken by the Lampungnese. You can take a photo of this iconic landmark from the window of your vehicle before entering the TSTR.

  • Rest Area KM 215 on the Terbanggi Besar–Pematang Panggang–Kayu Agung Toll Road

The second landmark is Rest Area KM 215 on the Terbanggi Besar–Pematang Panggang–Kayu Agung Toll Road in Lampung and South Sumatra Provinces. The Branch Manager revealed that this toll road spans over five districts in both provinces.

That makes up about 80% of the rest area occupied by MSME tenants from Lampung and South Sumatra, while the remaining 20% is leased to non-MSME tenants. This Type A rest area also has facilities similar to other Type A rest areas, including ATMs, toilets, gas stations, clinics, convenience stores, prayer rooms or mosques, workshops, parking lots, gardens, and restaurants. If you feel tired or it is time for your daily prayers, this rest area is perfect for taking a break.

  • Ogan Bridge

The Ogan Bridge is one of the three long bridges on the Kayu Agung–Palembang Toll Road. Crossing the Ogan River, this connecting bridge is 1.6 kilometers in length and 385 meters in main bay width, making it the longest toll bridge in Indonesia. Besides having that unique designation, the Ogan Bridge is adorned with Palembang Songket ornaments along its parapets and features a replica Muara Takus Temple, symbolizing the site of the Sriwijaya Kingdom, built near the bridge.

Are you ready to welcome the Eid holidays with a “mudik” travel via the Trans-Sumatra Toll Road? Before traveling, make sure to get Mudik Aman Insurance from MSIG Indonesia to protect you and your family during your trip back to and from your hometown

Other Article